Do you have what it takes to turn organic cotton into a prosperous sector that benefits all – from farmer to consumer? Are you the leader that can continue building an organization set up for positive impact at scale? Do you understand the reality, interests and language of key stakeholders in organic cotton and textiles? And are you passionate to represent our partners in a variety of meetings and stakeholder events across the globe?
Yes? Then we encourage you to apply for the position of Executive Director with the Organic Cotton Accelerator.
About the Organic Cotton Accelerator
The Organic Cotton Accelerator (OCA) is a multi-stakeholder initiative focused on creating a prosperous organic cotton sector from farmer to consumer. OCA unites and represents a large share of the industry voice and interest in the organic cotton sector via its partners (H&M, C&A, Inditex, Eileen Fisher, Tchibo, Kering, amongst others). As an accelerator, we promote best practices and transparency through the entire supply chain, to enhance the viability of organic cotton now and in the future. Our program of interventions focuses on improving the business case for organic cotton farmers and the integrity of organic cotton at the source of the supply chain. India, the world’s largest organic cotton producer, is currently the focus country in these initial years.
Together with our partners, OCA aims to leverage sourcing practices and conditions to the benefit of organic farmers and the organizations directly managing organic farming programs. We support our partners in implementing sourcing practices that engage more directly with the base of the supply chain, and improve conditions such as a fair price to the farmer. Quality servicing of farmers by farmer program managers, e.g. providing access to quality non-GM seed to the farmer, is also part of our interventions. OCA provides its partner brands with data transparency on the impact of their sourcing practices at farm-level, and aims to pilot a traceability system to improve the integrity in the organic textiles supply chain. The organization and its mandate are developing, and new interventions and strategies will be added to the agenda with time. A critical success factor for OCA is its ability to set up its interventions for scale, using technology and (innovative) finance to assure transparency and affordability of its interventions.
The Executive Director will lead and represent a dynamic new organization that is accelerating apparel companies and other stakeholders to build a thriving organic cotton sector. We are looking for a seasoned and passionate multitasker who is able to drive the success of the Organic Cotton Accelerator and the organic cotton sector as a whole.
For the past 18 months, OCA has been hosted by NewForesight Consultancy based in the Netherlands. You will take over the work of the interim director and join the India Coordinator and Program Director in rolling out and scaling up OCA’s program of interventions and its impact 2018 onwards.
Leading a consortium of dedicated partners towards impact at scale
- Demonstrate a passion for our mission and with a clear vision for potential future expansion of activities to have an impact at scale
- Outline the short- and longer-term priorities for the OCA to realize its mission (balancing immediate and long-term priorities), create an executable plan (course correcting, as needed), and consistently keep the organization focused
- Act as a steering power to enable OCA’s partners to realize their common vision, through OCA governance bodies and beyond
Developing and implementing a traceability IT system
- Based on thorough understanding of current supply chain traceability challenges, steer the development and implementation of a traceability IT system for organic cotton
- As a strategic partner, work alongside existing organic cotton standard organizations (Textile Exchange and GOTS) to find maximal synergies with other traceability solutions being prototyped in the sector
Attracting others to join this growing movement for organic cotton
- Grow the movement, attract new partners including brands/retailers, supply chain partners, NGOs, foundations, and governments to join
- Steer the creation of scaling mechanisms including but not limited to developing impact/other funds and implementing them
- Ability to act as an Ambassador for OCA, speaking at and attending industry events across the globe
- Lead the fundraising – both public and private – to ensure the financial sustainability of OCA
- A start-up mind set, for leading a small team of excellent professionals and grow the OCA Foundation and its impact;
- Transformational mindset, ability to turn competing interests into effective collaboration;
- Entrepreneurial spirit and capacity to be involved in several projects at the same time;
- Innovation capacity and ‘can do’ mentality;
- Ability to work in collaboration with big apparel companies from different countries (and proven experience in managing diverse stakeholders), capacity to understand the corporate world;
- Solution-driven, hands-on, fast learning multi-tasker, able to deliver both operational and strategic solutions;
- Extensive knowledge on latest technologies for supply chain traceability, ideally with experience setting up a traceability system in a relevant supply chain;
- Wide network in relevant stakeholder groups – in the textiles supply chain, apparel companies, governments, NGO’s;
- Outstanding people and project manager;
- Inspiring speaker, connecting facilitator and engaging spokesperson;
- A track-record in the (organic) cotton sector and knowledge of/experience in its origin countries is a strongly preferred;
- Extremely passionate about this sector and in it to fix it;
- Fluent in English.
- A full-time position with long-term perspective
- The opportunity to realize significant sustainability impact
- The position to strengthen an organization which was set up to have positive impact at scale
- Salary in line with sector standard and experience
- Ideally based in the Netherlands
Please submit resume and cover letter on or before October 29th, 2017 to the search firm, Weinreb Group, via the following: http://weinrebgroup.com/jobseeker/resume.
All submissions will be held in the strictest confidence.